2012 U.S. Election Prayer Guide
It is imperative that we pray faithfully for the 2012 elections; yet our hope and trust is not in the results of elections! That may sound like a strange introduction to an election prayer guide. But the reality is that the spiritual and moral issues facing this nation will not be resolved in the White House, Congress, or the Supreme Court. What the United States desperately needs is another Great Awakening!
The church must experience a revival that awakens her to the life-changing power of Jesus Christ in her midst. Such a spiritual awakening within the people of God has the power to bring about true cultural transformation in this nation.
So why pray for the elections? There are a number of compelling reasons:
...The Bible commands us to pray for those who are in leadership. This includes those who are vying to become leaders.
...Godly leaders can help slow the erosion of religious liberties in our land. This can provide an increased window of opportunity for the church to pray and evangelize.
...According to Scripture, "Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people" (Prov. 14:34). The selection of leaders who understand and lead according to God’s righteous standards can bring great blessing to a nation.
...Scripture also says in Proverbs 11:14, "For lack of guidance a nation falls, but many advisors make victory sure." The determination of who leads our nation will also determine who advises that leader and how we are guided.
Here are seven areas of prayer for America:
The Church...The church is often relegated to the sidelines, considered irrelevant and out of touch, and we sometimes deserve that critique. God has a completely different perspective on what His people are to be and how we are to function. In Ephesians 3:10, the Apostle Paul writes, "His [God’s] intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known...."
Though seemingly powerless in the eyes of the world, the church – through righteousness, prayer, and the power of the Holy Spirit – releases the wisdom of God into any and every culture.
Pray for the church, that:
• Our eyes will be opened to see the hope to which we are called (Eph. 1:18).
• We will experience in a fresh, new way the presence of Christ in revival.
• A spirit of repentance and humility will be poured out upon the people of God.
The Voters...The Great American Experiment in representative government for more than 200 years has depended upon voter involvement. This requires an educated electorate who will examine the issues and the candidates and vote in a way that is best for the nation, not just their own well-being. Much prayer is needed for this critical process.
Pray for voters, that:
• Wisdom will be sought from God (Jas. 1:5).
• Self-interest will be laid aside for the common good.
• Discernment between truth and falsehood will be clear.
The Candidates...Praying for candidates does not mean praying just for those you agree with or support. All are leaders and potential leaders in our nation – and as such, all need our prayers.
Pray for candidates for office, that:
• They will take brave stands for righteousness, even when it may not be well received.
• They will surround themselves with godly advisors.
• They will focus on the issues we face as a nation.
The Media...In our day of 24-hour news coverage, the media have taken on a huge role in our election process. Handling media correctly sometimes seems to take precedence in a campaign over actually dealing with issues. The media themselves often forget their role of informing and reporting and have become endorsers and supporters, even while they try to deny that role. Increased prayer for the media is an essential way for Christians to impact an election.
Pray for the media, that:
• Truth in reporting and election coverage will become a high value.
• Media bias will disappear.
• Christianity will receive fair coverage in all reports.
The Impact on the Nations...In our rapidly shrinking world, what happens in one country has an effect on others. This is especially true for the United States. The individuals who hold the presidency and Senate and Congressional seats will make decisions that impact the rest of the world. Whether those decisions help or harm the people of the world is largely determined by the choices that Americans make at the polls. We need to pray that our choices will serve to bless the world.
Pray for the election and its impact on the world, that:
• Voters will consider the foreign policies of candidates and how they fit with biblical principles.
• The result of U.S. elections will serve to spread the Gospel around the globe.
• The U.S. will stand firm in its commitment to Israel’s right to exist as a nation.
Spiritual Warfare Surrounding the Elections...Nothing is achieved in the kingdom of God without warfare. That includes the election of righteous individuals to the leadership of nations. Our call is to have great discernment as we pray and stand in the strength of Christ’s victory.
Pray around the spiritual warfare issues involved in the election, such as:
• Great awareness and discernment for the Lord’s praying people as they pray over the election.
• Physical protection for all candidates and their families throughout this campaign season.
• A strong hedge of protection around the nation itself during this time of decision.
• The unleashing of the sword of the Spirit throughout the nation, judging the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).
The Purposes of God...Ultimately, whatever the area of prayer emphasis, we must always come back to the purposes of God. Jesus taught us to pray, "Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth, as it is in heaven" (Matt. 6:10). As we pray for something as important as national elections, we must lay down our own desires and take up the desires of God. What we really desire is for the Lord’s purposes to be achieved in and through our nation. All of our requests must be couched in words and thoughts that focus our hearts on the kingdom of God.
Pray for the purposes of God to be accomplished in the U.S. elections:
• Pray that the U.S. will turn and seek first the kingdom of God.
• Pray that God will be honored in the midst of this election campaign.
• Pray for opportunities for Christians to share their faith and their values in the midst of this election process.
• Pray that the results of the 2012 elections will please the Lord and release His blessing over this nation.
– By David Butts, chairman of America’s National Prayer Committee and founder of Harvest Prayer Ministries. © 2011 Harvest Prayer Ministries, Prayer Connect magazine. Edited and used by permission.