Ten Days of Constant Prayer – May 13 - 22
Global Day of Prayer – May 23
DAY ONE – Thursday, May 13
Our Father who is in heaven...
• For God to revive and unite His people as one family before Him.
• For wayward Christians to repent and return to God as Father, learning to obey and trust Him.
• For fresh movements of prayer, seeking the throne of grace with persistence.
DAY TWO – Friday, May 14
...sanctify Your name...
• For the truth of God’s character to be exalted and honored.
• For God to distinguish Himself from every false god and to expose every false thing spoken about Him.
• For the Word of God to be proclaimed in every people and place across the earth.
• For the Scriptures to be translated and made available in every language.
A call to RETURN
"‘Yet even now,’ declares the LORD, ‘Return to Me with all your heart, and with fasting and weeping and mourning’" (Joel 2:12).
Read Joel 2:12-14 aloud. Consider how the present hour could be a critical moment as in Joel’s day, a "yet even now" moment. For different reasons, many of God’s people have drifted away from Him. But now He is calling us to return with all our hearts. Returning to God means more than going back to church and turning away from sin; it means turning our full attention to God, coming close to Him with confidence in His amazing love. As we turn to Him, He desires to turn toward us. His mighty love not only rescues us from our wrongs, but bestows blessing, empowering us to offer Him extravagant, grateful worship.
DAY THREE – Saturday, May 15
...May Your kingdom come...
• For many to be drawn by the power of the Gospel to submit their lives to Jesus Christ, in order to love and follow Him as King.
• For Christ’s followers to walk in the fullness of God’s Spirit so that they can live in the likeness of Christ.
• For the Lordship of Christ to influence every part of our cities and societies.
DAY FOUR – Sunday, May 16
...and may Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven...
• For God’s people to bring the influence and blessing of Christ into every aspect of commerce, arts, education and governance in ways that bring lasting transformation.
• For God’s wisdom to be upon our government leaders, bringing changes that increase righteousness and justice.
• For the righteousness, peace and joy of Christ’s kingdom to be a reality by the power of the Holy Spirit.
A call to GATHER
"Gather the people...and let them say, ‘Spare Your people, O Lord...’ Why should the peoples say, ‘Where is their God?’" (Joel 2:16-17).
Read Joel 2:15-17. To repent as a people we must come before God together. He wants to encounter us as a people. That is why He is summoning us to break normal routines in order to assemble before Him in gatherings large and small. It is a time to interrupt daily habits of life, fasting from our normal diet, even moving from familiar rituals of worship to assemble in special ways. Why this urgency? Because something great is at stake for God’s glory. Let us allow our hearts to be grieved by what we, as God’s people, have done to bring shame upon His name. To the watching world, it can appear as if we have no God. Consider what brings sorrow to the heart of God, and pray that He will transform us to bring Him the glory He deserves.
DAY FIVE – Monday, May 17
...Give us this day our daily bread...
• For the basic needs of food, water and health care for the poor, for the sick, for refugees and for children.
• That God’s people would become, by His Spirit’s help, agents of healing and change, bringing forth the abundance, justice and peace that God desires.
• For God’s people to break patterns of poverty in their communities, fulfilling God’s promise of blessing amidst all peoples.
• For Christians to act with compassion and persistence to eradicate diseases and to serve well in the aftermath of epidemics such as HIV/AIDS.
DAY SIX – Tuesday, May 18
...Forgive us our sins...
• For the Spirit of God to move on the hearts of men and women so that they will be able to see how God is grieved and how their lives are being destroyed by sin.
• For the Spirit of God to empower people to abandon patterns of sin and find grace to renounce allegiance to powers of darkness.
• For recognition of and repentance from sins that bring about war, poverty and injustice.
A call to HOPE
"Then the LORD will be jealous...and take pity on His people...Be not afraid...be glad and rejoice. Surely the LORD has done great things" (Joel 2:18, 21). Read Joel 2:18-22. We can be zealous to repent because God is so jealous for His name and for His people. Because of God’s great love, our repenting should be bold and fearless. Our God will contend with the forces that devastate our communities. As great as the evil may be, God will do even greater things. Such hope brings joy as we sincerely turn to God, knowing that He desires to bring great goodness throughout the earth, transforming our cities, restoring our economies and healing our lands.
DAY SEVEN – Wednesday, May 19
...as we forgive those who sin against us...
• To break the cycles of resentment, revenge and racism so that relationships are restored.
• For signs of Christ’s reconciling power in the midst of militarized conflict, revealing God’s desire to end all wars.
• To restore relationships between women and men, to bring reconciliation in marriages and to renew relationships of children with their parents.
• For those who suffer for the name of Christ to endure persecution in the Spirit and grace of Christ.
DAY EIGHT – Thursday, May 20
...And lead us not into temptation...
• For Christians to be filled with such love and zeal to please God that they are unmoved by enticements of materialism and sexual perversity.
• For God’s people to continue walking in the light of His ways and wisdom in order to fulfill His purposes throughout the earth.
• That Christ would guide leaders of business, education and government so that the curse of corruption would be overcome throughout cities and entire economies.
A call to CELEBRATE
"You will have plenty to eat...and praise the name of the LORD your God, who has dealt wondrously with you" (Joel 2:26).
Read Joel 2:23-27. When God’s people return to Him with all their heart, there is promise of tangible changes and great joy in their communities. Where there has been the curse of oppressive poverty, God desires to bring forth an abundance so that many will gratefully praise His name. An even greater spectacle will be God making His home in the midst of His people. He will act wondrously in both goodness and power, surprising the world by revealing His presence among His people.
DAY NINE – Friday, May 21
...but deliver us from evil...
• That God would restrain Satanic powers, revealing the truth of the Gospel, liberating many people to follow Christ.
• That people would be delivered from idolatry, witchcraft, demonic oppression and depression.
• For Christ to break powers of darkness which corrupt and dominate businesses, governments and cities.
DAY TEN – Saturday, May 22
...for Yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.
• That signs of Christ’s kingdom will so fill the earth that many will be moved to celebrate the hope of His coming.
• That Christ’s power will be seen in the humility and compassionate service of His people.
• That Jesus would be honored openly, worshiped extravagantly and glorified globally.
A call to REVEAL
"I will pour out My Spirit on all people...And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved" (Joel 2:28, 32).
Read Joel 2:28-32 and consider how these promises could be fulfilled in greater ways than ever before. Turn to God with expectancy. He is about to advance His purpose to reveal His salvation globally. Even during days of dreadful shaking and difficulty, He will pour out His Spirit so that people all over the earth – elders and children, poor and rich, men and women – will resound with the call of God. From every race and in every place, people will hear and speak of God’s call. Many will be saved to the glory of His name.
Pentecost Sunday, May 23
A Prayer for the World
"They lifted their voices to God with one accord..." – Acts 4:24
The following prayer was prepared by members of the International Prayer Council. It has been translated into many languages and will be read in unison at most Global Day of Prayer gatherings.
Almighty God – Father, Son and Holy Spirit, together with believers all over the world, we gather today to glorify Your Name. You are the Creator of heaven and earth. There is no one like You, holy and righteous in all Your ways. We submit to Your authority as the King of the universe. We pray with one voice to enthrone You in our hearts and to honor You before the world.
Congregation: Lord God, You alone are worthy of our praise and adoration.
Our Father in heaven, thank You for loving the world so greatly. You gave Your only Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross for our sins so that we could be reconciled to You. We are grateful to call You Father and to be called Your children. Nothing can separate us from Your love.
Congregation: Thank You, Father, for adopting us into Your family because of Jesus Christ our Savior.
Lord Jesus Christ, You alone are worthy to open the scrolls of history, for You were slain and have redeemed us to the Father by Your blood. We confess that You are Head of the Church and Lord of all heaven and earth. May people from every tribe and language become Your followers so that Your blessing brings transformation among all peoples. Let Your kingdom be established in every nation of the world so that governments will rule with righteousness and justice. And may Your Name be great, from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Congregation: Jesus Christ, You are the Savior of the world and the Lord of all.
Father of mercy and grace, we acknowledge that we have sinned and that our world is gripped by the power of sin. Our hearts are grieved by injustice, hatred and violence. We are shamed by oppression, racism and bloodshed in our land. We mourn all loss of life in murder, war and terrorism. Our homes are broken and our churches are divided by rebellion and pride. Our lives are polluted by selfishness, greed, idolatry and sexual sin. We have grieved Your heart and brought shame to Your Name. Have mercy on us as we repent with all our hearts.
Congregation: God of mercy, forgive our sins. Pour out Your grace and heal our land.
Spirit of the living God, apart from You, we can do nothing. Transform Your Church into the image of Jesus Christ. Release Your power to bring healing to the sick, freedom to the oppressed and comfort to those who mourn. Pour Your love into our hearts and fill us with compassion to answer the call of the homeless and the hungry and to enfold orphans, widows and the elderly in Your care. Give us wisdom and insight for the complex problems we face today. Help us to use the resources of the earth for the well-being of all.
Congregation: Holy Spirit, we need Your comfort and guidance. Transform our hearts.
Lord Jesus Christ, because You were dead, but are now risen, and the Father has given You a Name above all names, You will defeat all powers of evil. Tear down strongholds and ideologies that resist the knowledge of God. Remove the veil of darkness that covers the peoples. Restrain the evil that promotes violence and death. Bring deliverance from demonic oppression. Break the hold of slavery, tyranny and disease. Fill us with courage to preach Your Word fearlessly, and to intercede for the lost faithfully.
Congregation: Almighty God, deliver us from evil.
King of Glory, come and finish Your work in our cities, our peoples and our nations. We lift our voices in unison with believers from Africa and Asia, from the Middle East and Europe, from North and South America, and from Australia and the Pacific Islands – together we cry:
Congregation: Lift up your heads, O you gates! Be lifted up ancient doors so that the King of glory may come in!
As Your deeds increase throughout the earth, and as Your blessings abound to all the nations, they will seek You, asking, "Who is this King of glory?" Together we will answer:
Congregation: He is the Lord Almighty! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!
Come fill the earth with Your glory as the waters cover the sea. The Spirit and the Bride say:
Congregation: Amen! Come Lord Jesus!
Published by WayMakers in cooperation with the Global Day of Prayer and the International Prayer Council. Copyright © 2010, all rights reserved. Used by permission of (www.waymakers.org) Waymakers.
Attention Readers In North America: To order the prayer guide booklet at an affordable price, go to www.waymakers.org.
Attention Readers Outside North America: Please check www.globaldayofprayer.com to register and find other available resources, translations of the prayer guide, and information regarding Ninety Days of Blessing.