Millions Of Christians To Unite In Global Day Of Prayer
On May 11, from the rising of the sun in the east and across each time zone until it sets, many Christians will be joining in responding to God’s call in 2 Chronicles 7:14: "If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways…I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin…."
Following a clear vision received in July 2000, a call to Christians across Africa and then all across the earth, to a day of repentance and prayer, a remarkable "wave" of united prayer has "rolled out" over Africa and the globe. The Global Day of Prayer has seen millions of Christians unite in praying for their city and their nation. God is again calling the nations from the North, South, East and West to embark on this prayer journey for a world in desperate need for His glory and compassionate love. It is expected that the 2008 Global Day of Prayer, scheduled for May 11, will unite millions of believers, gathered in venues from small village squares to large staduims, repenting and crying out to God for revival with sincere hearts and united hopes.
Ten Days Preceding May 11
Sponsors of the Global Day of Payer write that beginning on Ascension Day, Thursday, May 1, and continuing until Saturday, May 10, believers around the world will be organizing ways to pray together night and day. Inspired by the example of the first followers who "joined together constantly" in prayer (Acts 1:14), it is expected that the ten days between the time of the ascent of Jesus and the descent of His Spirit will be filled with believers praying around the clock and across all time zones. The prayer guide [reproduced below] is being translated into many languages so that millions of people around the world will have the same biblical beginning points to pray through these ten days. No one will be praying alone.
The great troubles that shake our world compel us to pray. Ask our Lord to grant us times of turning from darkness to walk in light as we never have before. But even more, the tremendous promises of God should move us to pray with urgency and desire. But regardless of how we may be stirred to pray – by great needs or by great hopes – there is a universal conviction in these days that Christ Himself is calling His Church to pray. What better way to obey our Lord than to give ourselves to ten days of continual prayer (May 1 – May 10), culminating on the Global Day of Prayer on May 11, the Day of Pentecost?
With your local church, plan special portions of your Pentecost Sunday morning service to be devoted to prayer. Plan to participate in special gatherings that may be in your area. For more information see www.globaldayofprayer.com.
Ninety Days of Blessing
May 12 – August 9
Becoming the Blessing of Christ
Anticipating the blessing of cities and communities, the Global Day of Prayer becomes a catalytic moment for the forming or furthering of local alliances among pastors, congregations, mission agencies and business leaders to bring practical, transformational blessing to their cities and communities. You may find out how Christians are fulfilling the promise of the "90 Days of Blessing" at www.globaldayofprayer.com.
"For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea"
– Habakkuk 2:14
Day 1 – Thursday, May 1
Pursuing THE KINGDOM OF GOD
For the transforming power of Christ’s kingdom
Concerning: spiritual darkness, church divisions, economic oppression
"...and speaking of the things concerning the kingdom of God. Gathering them together, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for what the Father had promised, ‘Which,’ He said, ‘you heard of from Me...’" – Acts 1:3-4
• For the hearts of God’s people to blaze with love and loyal obedience to Jesus as King and Lord of all.
• For the goodness and glory of Christ’s kingly love to be experienced by many throughout whole cities.
• For Christ to bring believers to dwell in cities where breakthroughs of blessing have not yet occurred. Pray that they would patiently pursue the promised blessing of Christ’s kingdom in difficult places.
• That the power of Christ’s love would bring lasting transformation throughout entire communities.
"If My people..." – 2 Chronicles 7:14
Preparing to encounter God as His people: Present yourself to God as His beloved servant, purchased by Christ’s death. Answer His call to serve Him with others. Pray for many others to gather before Him as families, as churches, and as one people of all nations.
Day 2 – Friday, May 2
Increasing in UNITED PRAYER
For sustained movements of united prayer
Concerning: prayerlessness, occult practices, materialism
"These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer..." – Acts 1:14
• That God will unite us in prayer with "one mind," (Acts 1:14, 2:46, 4:24), empowering us to pray passionately together for Christ’s glory in all the world.
• That God will hear and answer the prayers of the poor, the young and the marginalized and will be glorified by their praises.
• That God’s Spirit would inspire and empower believers to pray specific blessings upon their neighbors and friends.
• That people throughout our communities will be moved to call out to God for His help as never before.• That the leaders of our community would ask God for His wisdom and hope.
"...who are called by My name..." – 2 Chronicles 7:14
Preparing to live for His glory: Confess ways that we may have brought shame to our God. Renounce foolish jealousies and small ambitions. Yearn afresh for His glory to be great in our lands.
Day 3 – Saturday, May 3
Being filled with THE HOLY SPIRIT
For God to pour out His Spirit upon all
Concerning: intellectual pride, demonic oppression, spiritual blindness, depression
"‘In the last days,’ God says, ‘I will pour out My Spirit on all people...’" – Acts 2:17
• For God to pour out His Spirit upon every person alive on the earth.
• For the Church to be filled afresh with God’s Spirit, empowered as Christ’s witnessing servants in the world.
• For the Spirit of God to reveal Jesus to those in spiritual darkness.
• That the Spirit of God would awaken the nations to hear His voice and to see His works (Acts 2:33).• For many to be stirred by Spirit-given dreams to envision Jesus alive and at work in their lives.
"...will humble themselves..." – 2 Chronicles 7:14
Preparing to meet God in brokenness: Invite God to soften our hardened hearts. Admit your brokenness. Adore the excellence of Jesus with fresh awe and wonder. Practice humility by seeking for others to be honored.
Day 4 – Sunday, May 4
Turning to God in REPENTANCE
For many to turn from sin to new life in Christ
Concerning: pornography, addictions, rebellion, immorality
"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord" – Acts 3:19
• For Christ to encounter people with His forgiving love, so that millions turn from their sin to the joy of following Him.
•That the Word of the cross of Christ would break the grip of sin’s power so that many will find hope for their sins to "be wiped out" (Acts 3:19).
• That God would bless His people by helping them be the first to turn "from their wicked ways" (Acts 3:26) so that massive movements of repentance would sweep through whole communities.• That movements of repentance would bring "times of refreshing" (Acts 3:19) so that men, women and children will experience the presence of God.
"...and pray..." – 2 Chronicles 7:14
Preparing to pray beyond ourselves: Pour out your heart before God. Thank Him for what He has already done. Lift the burdens of others, allowing your heart to be moved to cry out for the tremendous needs of your community and country.
Day 5 – Monday, May 5
Pursuing THE PEACE OF CHRIST
For relationships to be transformed
Concerning: racism, poverty, violence, crime
"All the believers were together...Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need...They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people..." – Acts 2:44-47
• That reconciliation among churches will remove divisions and hostilities, marking relationships among Christians with love, joy, unity and gladness of heart.
• For Christ to move so powerfully and clearly that His people, as well as the onlooking world, are "filled with awe" (2:43).
•For God’s people to turn away from greed and worldly desires and become more generous than ever.
• For God to intervene in wars, restraining spiritual forces of evil, subduing terrorism, and protecting the lives of those afflicted.• For God to use Christians to help lift people from the oppression of extreme poverty.
"...and seek My face..." – 2 Chronicles 7:14
Preparing to seek God’s face: Set the desires of your heart beyond your own needs. Come near to God in order to know Him and to be known by Him. Be still before Him. Speak to Him confidently and listen carefully, as if face to face with Jesus.
Day 6 – Tuesday, May 6
Empowering THE COMING GENERATION
For God’s purpose for families and children
Concerning: broken homes, sexual perversion, child exploitation, abortion
"For the promise is for you and your children..." – Acts 2:39
•For Christ to strengthen marriages and homes.
• For young people to follow Christ early in life, serving Him with a lifetime of extreme devotion.
• That Christians would boldly show the love of God’s family to orphans, widows, the defenseless, and the homeless.
• For Christians to extend God’s fatherly love to millions of children orphaned by wars and the HIV/AIDS epidemic.• For God to empower the coming generation to fulfill His promises throughout the earth.
"...and turn from their wicked ways..." – 2 Chronicles 7:14
Preparing to repent: Seek more than mere wordy confessions. Instead, ask God to give you power to turn from any hint of evil and to abandon any hurtful way. Let God lift your heart with hope that He will bring lasting change throughout your community and relationships.
Day 7 – Wednesday, May 7
Resounding THE CALL OF GOD
For the nations to hear the voice of God
Concerning: unreached peoples, idolatry, unbelief, illiteracy
"...and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself" – Acts 2:39
• For the Word of God to be proclaimed to people of every language, tribe and nation (Acts 1:8, 2:5).
• For all peoples to hear of the "mighty deeds of God" in the words of their own languages and the ways of their own cultures (Acts 2:11).
•For Christ to be followed in every people, especially among the thousands of unreached people groups who still lack vital, growing, multiplying churches.
• For the Bible to be translated for the thousands of people groups without even one verse in their language.• That God would call many to Himself (Acts 2:39) who would call on Him to be saved (Acts 2:21).
"...then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin..." – 2 Chronicles 7:14
Preparing to confess: Open your life to Christ. Admit your sin before an open heaven. Confess your wrongdoing to those you may have harmed. Ask God to free you and others from the burden of sin’s guilt and the bondage of sin’s power.
Day 8 – Thursday, May 8
Suffering with power for THE GLORY OF JESUS
For the faithful courage of His people
Concerning: persecution, injustice, terrorism
"...rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name" – Acts 5:41
•That those who face opposition because they serve Christ will respond with the gentle, courageous character of Jesus (Acts 4:13).
• For Christians who suffer for Christ’s name to be strong in joy and faith.
• For God to glorify Himself by His great deeds in places where He is rejected (Acts 4:21).
• For our leaders and governments to be blessed.• That government leaders who oppose Christ (Acts 4:25-27) will be blessed with wisdom so as not to be found "fighting against God" (Acts 5:39).
"...and will heal their land..." – 2 Chronicles 7:14
Preparing to be transformed: Expect God to bring great changes throughout your community and country, some coming slowly and others suddenly. Renew your hope for the earth to be restored, sick societies lifted and relationships healed.
Day 9 – Friday, May 9
Bringing THE HEALING OF CHRIST
For Christ to bring substantial healing
Concerning: lack of health care, the AIDS epidemic, witchcraft, pollution
"Stretch out Your hand to heal and perform miraculous signs and wonders through the name of Your Holy Servant Jesus" – Acts 4:30
• That communities will see the hand of Christ extended, bringing miraculous healing among the sick (Acts 5:14-16).
•That the name of Jesus will be declared with signs and wonders in the presence of many (Acts 3:16).
• For Christians to act with wisdom, compassion and persistence to eradicate diseases. For the end of HIV/AIDS in our generation.
• For Christians to engage in providing basic health care to the needy. Thousands of children worldwide die daily from preventable diseases.• For God’s people to work wisely, trusting God to work powerfully, in order to bring healing to the land.
"...Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive..." – 2 Chronicles 7:15
Preparing to meet God’s gaze: Turn your heart toward God in expectancy. Allow your heart to be moved in awe that He will listen to your every word and gaze upon us all with life-giving love.
Day 10 – Saturday, May 10
Extending THE BLESSING OF CHRIST
For promised blessing among all peoples
Concerning: hunger, warfare, gangs, corruption
"He said to Abraham, ‘Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed’" – Acts 3:25
• For Christians to live in expectancy that the ancient promise of blessing would soon be fulfilled, bringing transformation to their communities and countries.
• For churches to work together as one family in Jesus’ name, co-working with God to change lives, cities, and nations.
• For the righteousness and justice of God to affect the ways of commerce and politics, cleansing whole societies from the curse of corruption.
• For the peace of Christ’s kingdom to influence the way cities and nations are governed.• For the joy of Christ’s kingdom to erupt in celebrations of grateful praise amidst every people group on earth.
"...I have chosen and consecrated this temple so that My Name may be there forever. My eyes and My heart will always be there." – 2 Chronicles 7:16
Preparing to consecrate ourselves as His dwelling: Welcome His Spirit to fill you and your family and friends. Invite Christ to make His dwelling among His people, so that His heart will overflow our hearts with His magnificent love, in order to bring His glory to all the earth.
Pentecost Sunday, May 11 A Global Day of Prayer
"They lifted their voices to God with one accord..." – Acts 4:24
The following prayer was prepared by members of the International Prayer Council. It has been translated into many languages and will be read in unison at most Global Day of Prayer gatherings.
Almighty God – Father, Son and Holy Spirit, together with believers all over the world, we gather today to glorify Your Name. You are the Creator of heaven and earth. There is no one like You, holy and righteous in all Your ways. We submit to Your authority as the King of the universe. We pray with one voice to enthrone You in our hearts and to honor You before the world.
Congregation: Lord God, You alone are worthy of our praise and adoration.
Our Father in heaven, thank You for loving the world so greatly. You gave Your only Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross for our sins so that we could be reconciled to You. We are grateful to call You Father and to be called Your children. Nothing can separate us from Your love.
Congregation: Thank You, Father, for adopting us into Your family because of Jesus Christ our Savior.
Lord Jesus Christ, You alone are worthy to open the scrolls of history, for You were slain and have redeemed us to the Father by Your blood. We confess that You are Head of the Church and Lord of all heaven and earth. May people from every tribe and language become Your followers so that Your blessing brings transformation among all peoples. Let Your kingdom be established in every nation of the world so that governments will rule with righteousness and justice. And may Your Name be great, from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Congregation: Jesus Christ, You are the Savior of the world and the Lord of all.
Father of mercy and grace, we acknowledge that we have sinned and that our world is gripped by the power of sin. Our hearts are grieved by injustice, hatred and violence. We are shamed by oppression, racism and bloodshed in our land. We mourn all loss of life in murder, war and terrorism. Our homes are broken and our churches are divided by rebellion and pride. Our lives are polluted by selfishness, greed, idolatry and sexual sin. We have grieved Your heart and brought shame to Your Name. Have mercy on us as we repent with all our hearts.
Congregation: God of mercy, forgive our sins. Pour out Your grace and heal our land.
Spirit of the living God, apart from You, we can do nothing. Transform Your Church into the image of Jesus Christ. Release Your power to bring healing to the sick, freedom to the oppressed and comfort to those who mourn. Pour Your love into our hearts and fill us with compassion to answer the call of the homeless and the hungry and to enfold orphans, widows and the elderly in Your care. Give us wisdom and insight for the complex problems we face today. Help us to use the resources of the earth for the well-being of all.
Congregation: Holy Spirit, we need Your comfort and guidance. Transform our hearts.
Lord Jesus Christ, because You were dead, but are now risen, and the Father has given You a Name above all names, You will defeat all powers of evil. Tear down strongholds and ideologies that resist the knowledge of God. Remove the veil of darkness that covers the peoples. Restrain the evil that promotes violence and death. Bring deliverance from demonic oppression. Break the hold of slavery, tyranny and disease. Fill us with courage to preach Your Word fearlessly; and to intercede for the lost faithfully.
Congregation: Almighty God, deliver us from evil.
King of Glory, come and finish Your work in our cities, our peoples and our nations. We lift our voices in unison with believers from Africa and Asia, from the Middle East and Europe, from North and South America, and from Australia and the Pacific Islands – together we cry:
Congregation: Lift up your heads, O you gates! Be lifted up ancient doors so that the King of glory may come in!
As Your deeds increase throughout the earth, and as Your blessings abound to all the nations, they will seek You, asking, "Who is this King of glory?" Together we will answer:
Congregation: He is the Lord Almighty! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!
Come fill the earth with Your glory as the waters cover the sea. The Spirit and the Bride say:
Congregation: Amen! Come Lord Jesus!
Published by WayMakers in cooperation with the Global Day of Prayer and the International Prayer Council. Copyright © 2008, all rights reserved. Used by permission of (www.waymakers.org) Waymakers.
Attention Readers In North America: To order the prayer guide booklet at an affordable price, go to www.waymakers.org.
Attention Readers Outside North America: Please check www.globaldayofprayer.com to register and find other available resources and translations of the prayer guide.