To The Prayer Summons
By Lois J. Stucky
Some of you may be reading this while you are nearing the end of participation in the 40 days of PrayWORLD!2001, and some of you may be fasting. God will bless you for making sacrificial effort to bring down from Heaven Godís merciful intervention and salvation in place of frightful judgments that might fall on a wicked generation. You have been serious with God and He has taken note.
The temptation in strenuous times, is to grow weary and to let down in what we have purposed to do. A Herald of years ago quoted Rev. C. G. Moore as saying: "The problem of obtaining great things from God lies in the problem of holding on the last half-hour." When we feel at the end of ourselves and our strength, that is the time to cast ourselves totally on God to receive His strength and His endurance. Do it, dear ones, if strength of mind and body and spirit seems to be failing. He will see you through! Let us uphold one another in prayer to endure to the end.
Americaís National Day of Prayer
We trust you reader friends will give earnest, wholehearted support to Americaís National Day of Prayer, May 3. Page seven in this issue summons us to this. When a nation goes to war, it mobilizes for action. The finest of the nationís manhood goes to the front lines. We Christians are needed to mobilize for prayer warfare with the same earnestness when our nation is in jeopardy.
Christian leader Bill Bright recently wrote, "America is in danger of losing not only its freedom but also its very soul!" He points out what Christians are well aware of, the serious internal problem in our country of "the downward, anti-God cultural trend." He goes on to warn of the external danger from "rogue nations and fanatical terrorists" who hate this country and who have weapons of mass destruction which could kill millions. Would you not say our nation is in jeopardy?
Christian prayers, can we find it in our hearts to respond to the call to mobilize and do battle for righteousness and against sin and iniquity much like a nation mobilizes in a war of bombs and bullets? Let us humble ourselves before God and beseech Him in great mercy to grant repentance to the people of this nation (Acts 11:18) and to spare us and give us not into the hand of the heathen to rule over us (Joel 2:15-17).
How good it would be if preachers would schedule times of united prayer on May 3, and also open the church doors on a "Come as you can; leave when you must" basis for individual prayers. If you need to have topics to guide in a time of protracted prayer, the calendar recently used by many for the 40 days of PrayWORLD!2001 contains excellent suggestions. These were printed in the January and February Heralds. There is also a reproducible single-sheet abbreviated form of this calendar available as PrayUSA!2001. You may write Herald of His Coming and request a copy or copies, mentioning how many you want.
Seek Godís help to mobilize prayer yourself if there are no opportunities to join public meetings for prayer. Invite a few friends or neighbors into your home for a time of united prayer.
We encourage friends from outside U.S.A. to join in prayer for this nation. The privilege and responsibility God has given the Christians of America to take a great part in spreading the Gospel throughout the world, can only be carried on as God enables us to remain a free nation with adequate financial resources. This paper you are reading is one example showing Godís great grace and goodness to this land, granting ability and resources to share the Gospel freely from the shorelines of America to many countries of the world.
You may choose to pray for your own nation in a special way on this day, which is very appropriate, for every nation stands in need of urgent prayer. And certainly none of us should limit prayer for his or her nation to an especially designated day. The Apostle Paul said:
"I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; for kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth" (1 Timothy 2:1-4).
May we ask also your prayers with us for Herald of His Coming? Thank you for giving vital help in this way.
* For all who have it in their hearts to give of themselves to God for the advancement of His Kingdom, and for those of that number who are joining hands with Herald of His Coming in the propagation of the Gospel.
* For the joy of being workers together with God in that which will endure into eternity (1 Peter 1:24,25).
* That the articles in this issue of Herald of His Coming will be used of God to stir our hearts to seek Him more diligently, that He might do for us all that His gracious heart desires, filling us with His Spirit, making us fruitful in His Kingdom.
* For the restoration of backsliders into whose hands this issue will come.
* That more unsaved people will come to Christ as they receive and read Right Choice Salvation herald, and Truth for You for those in the occult, and Hear, O Israel for unsaved Jewish people.
* That God will touch the hearts of more friends to send in gifts monthly, so that expenses will not continue to exceed income.
* That God will continue to protect the Herald building and vehicles and all staff members from accident and illness and from any traps of the enemy to lead us astray in one way or another.
Pray likewise for Herald International offices and personnel, as some live and work in areas where there is a strong anti-Christian element.
* For those who read Herald of His Coming in prisons and in jails, to receive much spiritual help and strength through the messages.
* That God will bless the volunteers who come in to help so wonderfully in the mailing out of the monthly packages.
* That God will guide the distributors and direct them to hungry hearts who will gladly receive and will profit from the Herald messages.
* That overseas readers handicapped in giving as their hearts long to do, because they live in countries where the economy is poor, will be encouraged as they read the article on God teaching the Dyaks to give. Pray for Herald International editions wanting to become self-supporting to likewise take heart and look to God for the impossible.
* Pray for a gracious, fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit on all the Herald of His Coming and Herald International offices, that His work through our hands and hearts might prosper as never before and might help mightily to fulfill His purposes of preparing the world for the coming again of Christ.
"Surely I come quickly: Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus" (Revelation 22:20).