Find The Obstacle!
When it seems as though you cannot get through to the place of answered prayer, ask the Lord to help you find the obstacle, as you meditate, one at a time, on this little check-list:
1. Am I jealous or critical? (Galatians 5:13-26; 1 Corinthians 13:4; James 3:1-18).
2. Is there anyone I have not fully forgiven for a wrong, to the point that I now have a love for him or her? (Luke 6:27-38, 17:3-4; Mark 11:22-26; Matthew 6:12,14-15, 18:21-35).
3. Am I making every possible effort to pay my debts? (Romans 13:8; Psalms 37:21; Matthew 7:12).
4. Am I indulging in any known sin? (Psalm 66:18; 1 John 1:9; Proverbs 28:13).
5. Have I held back on making any restitution? (Matthew 7:12, 22:36-40; Luke 19:1-10).
6. Have I been proud, even of spiritual accomplishments? (Matthew 23:1-12; 1 Corinthians 4:6-7, 10:31; 1 Peter 5:5-7; Jeremiah 9:23-24; Romans 12:3-21).
7. Do I feel hurt if not appreciated for kind or good things I do, for not being properly recognized, etc.? (Proverbs 11:2; 16:18; 1 Corinthians 13:1-13; 1 Peter 2:19-23).
8. Am I usually insistent upon having my own way? (Philippians 2:2-8; John 5:30; 1 Peter 5:5-11).
9. Do I shade the truth occasionally? (Ephesians 4:25; 2 Corinthians 8:21).
10. Have I a carnal fear of man? Am I unwilling to do what I believe God wants for fear of some person's censure? (Proverbs 29:25; Galatians 1:10, 2:11-14; Luke 12:1-5).
11. How about anger and impatience? (Ecclesiastes 7:9; James 1:19-20; Luke 21:19; Matthew 26:51-52; Ephesians 4:21-32).
12. How about love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance? (Galatians 5:1-2,22-23; Ephesians 4:1-3; 1 John 4:7-21).
If you give yourself this test with all earnestness, praying that God, for Jesus' sake, will show you what's wrong, and your desire is to please Him, you can count on His faithfulness to show you your need and to come in and be the fulfillment of that need Himself.